OVERVIEW – Tiffin University
SCORE: Northwood 8, Tiffin 7
RECORDS: Northwood 14-5 (1-0 GLIAC), Tiffin 10-9 (4-1 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Heminger Field, Tiffin University
RECAP: Northwood overcomes five run defecit with seven run third to earn 8-7 comeback win to open GLIAC play.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Tiffin appeared to seize control early with a five spot in the home half of the second inning that included a two run homer by Ryan Thomas and the Dragons lead 5-0 after two innings.
- In a hole early, the Timberwolves wasted no time in responding in a big way. In the top of the third, Connor Foley led off with a solo blast over the center field fence. After two singles and a walk, Grant Bridgewater singled with the bases loaded scoring David Vinsky. The next batter, Kyle Ziegler matched Bridgewater's single with a single of his own, but this one brought home two as both Javier Martinez and Ryan McClelland scored.
- The inning went from good to great when the next batter, Robert Spencer, stepped to the plate and belted a three run homer to bring the run total to seven in the frame and pull Northwood ahead 7-5 heading to the bottom of the third.
- Northwood's Tyler Jandron settled down on the mound and held Tiffin scoreless over the course of the next three innings and the Timberwolves added a run in the fifth on a Javier Martinez big fly to put Northwood up 8-5 after five innings of play.
- Tiffin responded with two in the bottom of the sixth to make it a one run game at 8-7, but Northwood's Lennon Gwizdala held the Dragons there and earned his second save of the season and Northwood preserved the 8-7 victory to open conference play.
GAME 1 STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 8/9/2 Tiffin 7/11/1
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 7 Tiffin: 9
- Winning Pitcher: Tyler Jandron (5-0) 5.1 IP, 11H, 7R, 5ER, 6BB, 9K
- Losing Pitcher: Luke Fraley (L, 3-3) 2.2 IP, 8H, 7R, 7ER, 2BB, 6K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
GAME 1 NOTES
- This is the fourth time this season Northwood has come from behind to earn a comeback win.
- Tyler Jandron is now 5-0 in five career starts as a member of the Northwood Timberwolves.
- The three run home run for Robert Spencer is his first home run of the season and is also the highest RBI total for him on the season.
SCORE: Northwood 10, Tiffin 0
RECORDS: 15-5 (2-0 GLIAC) Tiffin 10-10 (4-2 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Heminger Field, Tiffin University .
RECAP: Northwood controls from start to finish and cruises to 8-0 shutout victory over Tiffin to earn the sweep and open GLIAC play 2-0.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Northwood opened the scoring with a pair in the top of the first by taking advantage of a costly Tiffin error that allowed Daniel Pulver and Ryan McClelland to score.
- With a two run lead and heading to the top of the third, the Timberwolves used the long ball to double their lead after solo shots by Connor Foley and Ryan McClelland and Northwood lead 4 nothing.
- The Timberwolves continued to add to their lead with two more in top of the fourth on a two RBI single by David Vinsky and two more in the top of the sixth on a two run blast by Daniel Pulver making the score 8-0 in favor of Northwood heading to the bottom of the sixth.
- The huge day for Connor Foley continued as the senior belted yet another home run in the top of the ninth that also scored Miles Hardy and gave the Timberwolves complete control and a ten nothing lead.
- Ian Dimitrie shut down Tiffin with another impressive pitching performance tossing seven shutout innings and striking out seven to earn his second win of the season.
GAME 2 STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 10/13/1 Tiffin 9/6/1
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 9 Tiffin: 10
- Winning Pitcher: Ian Dimitrie 7 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 7K, 0 BB
- Losing Pitcher: Max Dakin (L,1-1) 2.1IP, 3H, 4R, 2ER, 3BB, 5K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
GAME 2 NOTES
- The 15-5 start is the best 20 game start in program history for Northwood.
- Connor Foley finishes the day with two home runs. He had one career home run entering play.
- Northwood opens conference play 2-0 for the second time in three years under Coach Bischel.
COACH JORDAN BISCHEL
"It's a good feeling to start conference play with two wins. We competed well throughout the day, Tiffin is a quality opponent and will really challenge us tomorrow after two long games today."
- The Timberwolves continue the weekend series at Tiffin with a doubleheader tomorrow (March 25). First pitch is scheduled for 12 pm.