OVERVIEW – University of Findlay
SCORE: Northwood 1, Findlay 0
RECORDS: Northwood 36-11 (23-6 GLIAC), Findlay 18-24 (8-21 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Gerace Stadium, Midland, Mich
RECAP: Jandron tosses complete game shutout as Northwood wins 1-0 thriller to clinch first ever GLIAC regular season title.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The contest featured two of the best pitchers in the GLIAC in Tyler Jandron for Northwood and Austin Rodesky for Findlay. Both pitchers held the opponents off the scoreboard through four innings of play. Northwood threatened with two on and nobody out in the fourth, but Rodesky pitched out of the jam to keep the game tied, 0-0.
- In the bottom of the fifth, the Timberwolves broke through with one run to take the lead. Pinch hitter, Brooks Ullery led off with a walk. He was pinch ran for by Miles Hardy and with Richie O'Neil at the plate, he laid a bunt down advancing Hardy to second. With two outs and Hardy on third, David Vinsky singled up the middle to drive
- After neither team scored in the sixth, the score remained 1-0 heading to the top of the seventh.
- Peter Burket led off the frame with a single for the Oilers. After Jandron retired the next two hitters, Miguel Valdez doubled down the left field line to put two aboard with two outs. After Jandron hit the next batter, Findlay had the bases loaded with two outs.
- With the bases loaded and Northwood one out away from clinching the program's first ever GLIAC championship, Tyler Jandron struck out Logan Harrah and the Timberwolves poured out of the dugout to form the dog-pile on the infield after earning the 1-0 win in thrilling fashion.
GAME 1 STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 1/3/0 Findlay 0/8/0
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 6 Findlay: 8
- Winning Pitcher: Tyler Jandron (10-1) 7 IP, 8H, 0R, 0ER, 0BB, 9K
- Losing Pitcher: Austin Rodesky (2-7) 6 IP, 3H, 1R, 1ER, 4BB, 5K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- David Vinsky 1-3, RBI
GAME 1 NOTES
- With the win, Northwood clinches the regular season GLIAC championship and the number one seed in the GLIAC tournament.
- The GLIAC title is the first ever in program history.
- Two of Jandron's last three starts have been complete game shutouts. He continues to lead the GLIAC in wins after earning his tenth of the season.
SCORE: Northwood 13, Findlay 5
RECORDS: 37-11 (23-6 GLIAC Findlay 18-25 (8-22 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Gerace Stadiuim, Northwood University
RECAP: Northwood jumps out to huge lead with clutch, two-out hitting, cruises to 11-2 win over Findlay to earn the sweep of the doubleheader.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Ian Dimitrie took the mound in game two for Northwood and picked up right where Tyler Jandron left off by holding the Oilers scoreless in his six innings of work.
- In the bottom of the third, The Timberwolves took advantage of a couple of Findlay errors to score five unearned runs on the Oilers and grab a 5-0 lead. With two runners on and two outs, Javier Martinez hit a gap shot out to right for a bases clearing double. After Nick Palmer walked, Kyle Ziegler cleared the bases again with a two run double. Northwood would get one more unearned run to cap the scoring at five in the frame.
- The Timberwolves took a commanding 9-0 lead in the bottom of the sixth. Travis Janes started the inning with a single, followed by a two-out triple by David Vinsky to score Janes. Vinsky then scored on a wild pitch for the second run of the inning. With the bases empty and two outs, Daniel Pulver hit a towering home run to right field for a solo shot. Not to be outdone, the next batter Javier Martinez went yard with a big fly over the left field fence to complete the back-to-back jacks for the Timberwolves.
- Findlay came back with a five spot in the seventh inning to jump right back in the game and trail 9-5 heading to the bottom of the seventh.
- The Timberwolves wasted no time in regaining control of the lead in the bottom of the seventh. Kyle Ziegler and Robert Spencer both reached with singles to put two aboard and nobody out. Richie O'Neil then hit an RBI single scoring Ziegler and Connor Foley hit an RBI double to score Spencer. Northwood would settle for one more run in the inning on a David Vinsky fielder's choice as the Oiler's shortstop Derick herd elected to throw home but O'Neil beat the throw and NU's lead grew to 13-5.
- Northwood held Findlay scoreless in the eighth and ninth to cruise to the 13-5 win and earn the doubleheader sweep over the Oilers.
GAME 2 STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 13/15/3 Findlay 5/11/3
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 11 Findlay: 8
- Winning Pitcher: Ian Dimitrie (5-4) 6 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 3K, 0 BB
- Losing Pitcher: Alexander Theiss (2-2) 5.2IP, 9H, 8R, 3ER, 2BB, 1K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
GAME 2 NOTES
- Northwood is now 15-0 in 9 inning conference games.
- The Timberwolves are now 12-2 at home this season.
COACH JORDAN BISCHEL
"I couldn't be prouder of our team. So many guys have contributed throughout the course of the spring. Our assistant coaches are, in my opinion, the best in the country at preparing our team. We will be excited to play at home once more tomorrow."
- The Timberwolves conclude the four game series with University of Findlay with a doubleheader tomorrow (May 7th). First pitch is slated for 1:00 pm.