NCAA DIVISION II MIDWEST REGIONAL TOURNAMENT
#1 NORTHWOOD VS. #3 QUINCY
SCORE: Northwood 5, Quincy 3
RECORDS: Northwood 46-11, Quincy 34-21
LOCATION: Gerace Stadium, Northwood University, Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood punches ticket to the regional title game with 5-3 win over Quincy behind incredible bullpen performance from Matt Stojkov.
- For the first time in 2017 the Timberwolves were the visiting team at Gerace Stadium and batted in the top of the first inning. Connor Foley and David Vinsky wasted no time in showing why they are so lethal at the top of the lineup by leading off with consecutive doubles and opening the scoring. After Ryan McClelland walked, Daniel Pulver laid down a perfect bunt for a single to load the bases. The Timberwolves settled for one more run off the bat of Javier Martinez on an RBI groundout to make it 2-0 after the top of the first.
- The Quincy Hawks responded immediately in the bottom of the first with a run of their own. In what looked like it could have been a huge inning for the Hawks after they loaded the bases with nobody, Quincy grounded into a double play that killed the rally but did score a run to make it 2-1 after one inning of play.
- In the bottom of the third, the Hawks tied the score at two on the J.C. Demuri RBI single that scored Jake Walters who had doubled earlier in the inning.
- With the score tied at two in the top of the fourth, Northwood did their damage all with two outs. Foley laced a single, and Vinsky walked to put two on for Ryan McClelland who kept a hard hit ball fair down the first base line scoring both Foley and Vinsky and putting Northwood on top by a score of 4-2.
- Quincy cut the lead in half in the bottom part of the fourth inning after Matt Hilmes doubled with one out and later came around to score on the single by Dominic Miles to make it 4-3.
- The bottom of the seventh saw the Quincy Hawks load the bases with nobody out trailing by just the one run. Northwood relief pitcher Matt Stojkov pitched around the bases loaded jam by inducing two shallow pop-ups for the first two outs and finished off the side with a strike out to keep the score 4-3.
- Northwood added a run of insurance in the top of the eighth on another RBI single by Ryan McClelland who plated Foley for his third run scored of the contest and the Timberwolves led 5-3.
- Behind the arm of Matthew Stojkov, the Timberwolves bullpen accounted for five and a third innings of scoreless baseball that resulted in Stojkov earning the win on the mound in relief and closing out the victory for Northwood with a 1-2-3 ninth.
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 5/9/1 Quincy 3/8/0
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood:12 Quincy: 10
- Winning Pitcher: Matt Stojkov (6-0) 5.1 IP, 2H, 0R, 0ER, 2BB, 5K
- Losing Pitcher: Mark Niebrugge (7-5) 6.1 IP, 7H, 4R, 4ER, 5BB, 3K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- The Timberwolves have now won 12 games in a row, a school record.
- For the first time in school history, Northwood will play in the Midwest Regional championship game.
- Northwood is 19-2 at Gerace Stadium in 2017, and 1-0 as the away team.
- Matt Stojkov is now 6-0 and has gone six consecutive appearances without allowing a run while tossing 12 scoreless innings in those six appearances.
COACH JORDAN BISCHEL
"Just like last night night, tonight was just an outstanding college baseball game. Matt Stojkov was tremendous and we had several key hits. Our team will be excited to be a part of a fun day on Monday."
- Northwood will play in the Midwest Regional Tournament Championship on Monday (May 22) at 12 pm. Their opponent will be determined tomorrow, as Wayne State, Kentucky Wesleyan and Quincy are the remaining teams.