OVERVIEW – MARS HILL
SCORES: Mars Hill Lions 8, No. 14 Northwood Timberwolves 5
RECORDS: Northwood 1-2, Mars Hill 7-3
LOCATION: Henderson Field – Mars Hill, N.C.
RECAP: Northwood drops an 8-5 contest at Mars Hill Tuesday (February 20).
- Mars Hill set the tone for the game in the opening inning, hitting a pair of home runs on their way to a 3-0 lead.
- Northwood got on the board in the third inning on an RBI double by Nick Palmer that scored Travis Janes to make the score 3-1.
- The Lions power came through in the bottom of the third again, hitting two more home runs to extend their advantage to 6-1.
- NU got one back in the top of the fourth on a balk that scored Michael Karam to cut the lead down to 6-2
- Northwood made it 6-3 in the sixth on an RBI single by David Vinsky that scored Palmer.
- After Mars Hill made it 7-3 in the seventh, Northwood got a pair of runs in the top of the eighth. Javier Martinez had an RBI single that scored Ryan McClelland, which was followed by a Brooks Ullery sacrifice fly that scored Vinsky to make the score 7-5.
- The Lions got an insurance run in the eighth to get lead back to three at 8-5.
- The Timberwolves got a pair of runners on base in the ninth but were unable to score.
GAME ONE STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 5/10/0, Mars Hill: 8/11/2
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 16, Mars Hill: 7
- Winning Pitcher: Bryson Bailey (1-0): 2.0 IP, R, 2 Ks
- Losing Pitcher: Matt Pearsall (0-1): 2.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 2 Ks
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Vinsky: 3-5, R, RBI
- Janes: 3-5, R
- Northwood will travel to North Greenville for a two-day, two-game series. The first game will take place Wednesday (February 21) at 3:30 p.m.