OVERVIEW – DAVENPORT
SCORES: Davenport Panthers 6, Northwood 1/Northwood 3, Davenport 2
RECORDS: Northwood 26-9, 13-3 GLIAC/Davenport 19-15, 9-7 GLIAC
LOCATION: Oestrike Stadium – Ypsilanti, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood splits a neutral-site doubleheader against Davenport Friday (April 13), with the Panthers winning game one 6-1 before the Timberwolves rallied for a 3-2 win in the nightcap.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS (SEVEN INNING GAME)
- Northwood had first and third with nobody out in the bottom of the first inning, but were unable to push across a run.
- The game was scoreless until the third inning when Davenport broke through, plating a pair of runs.
- Davenport put together the big rally of the game with in the fifth inning after their first two batters were retired. The Panthers put together five straight singles to score four runs and make the score 6-1.
- The Timberwolves got on the board in the sixth. After a pair of walks to start the inning, a Keaton Sackett fielder's choice scored Miles Hardy to make the score 6-1.
- Northwood had a chance to get back into the game in the seventh, loading the bases with one out. But a double play turned by the Panthers closed out the contest.
GAME ONE STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors – Northwood: 1/6/0, Davenport: 6/10/2
- Runners Left on Base – Northwood: 6, Davenport: 5
- Winning Pitcher – Grant Wolfram (3-3): 7 IP, 6 H, R, 10 K, 2 BB
- Losing Pitcher – Ian Dimitrie (7-1): 7 IP, 10 H, 6 R, 5 K, BB
TOP NU PERFORMERS
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS (NINE INNING GAME)
- The two starting pitchers were the story of game two early on, as the game was scoreless through 4 1/2 innings.
- Northwood got on the board first thanks to taking advantage of a pair of Davenport mistakes in the bottom of the fifth. Travis Janes reached on an error to lead off the inning and was sacrificed to second base. He then advanced to third on a passed ball and scored on an RBI bunt single by Miles Hardy to put NU on top 1-0.
- Davenport came right back in the top of the sixth, taking advantage of a leadoff walk to score a run and tie the game 1-1.
- DU then took the lead in the top of the seventh inning with a run to make the score 2-1.
- Northwood missed a great chance to score in the bottom of the seventh, loading the bases with one out before a pop out and a groundout ended the threat.
- After leaving two more on base in the eighth inning, Northwood put together the game-winning rally in the bottom of the ninth. Ryan McClelland and Brian Dombrowski each drew one-out walks, which was followed by an RBI single by David Vinsky to tie the game 2-2.
- The next batter for Northwood, Javier Martinez, then won it for the Timberwolves. His line drive single to center plated Dombrowski and gave NU the victory.
GAME TWO STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors – Northwood: 3/7/1, Davenport: 2/8/2
- Runners Left on Base – Northwood: 9, Purdue Northwest: 9
- Winning Pitcher – Lennon Gwizdala (2-1): 4 IP, 6 H, R, 3 K, 2 BB
- Losing Pitcher – Pete Zeimis (2-2): 1 1/3 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 2 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Martinez: 2-4, RBI
- Vinsky: RBI
- Hardy: 1-2, RBI
- Northwood will take on Lawrence Tech Wednesday (April 18) in a non-conference game. First pitch is set for 4 p.m.