OVERVIEW – GRAND VALLEY
SCORE: Grand Valley State Lakers 93, Northwood Timberwolves 78
RECORDS: Northwood (4-13, 2-6 GLIAC), Grand Valley (10-5, 6-2 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Grand Valley State controls the play in 93-78 win over Northwood Thursday night (January 12).
- The Lakers got off to a hot start with an 18-7 lead just over six minutes into the game. The lead would stay at 11 before Northwood cut the lead to four halfway through the period with a 7-0 run to make the score 20-16.
- The final minutes of the first half proved to be key to the game. Grand Valley State posted a 14-1 run to go up 47-30 at the break.
- The Lakers hot shooting was a big part of the half, as GVSU shot 63.3 percent (19-30) from the floor and 50.0 percent from 3-point range (5-10).
- Northwood struggled from the floor, shooting 26.9 percent (7-26) and 22.2 percent from the 3-point range (2-9). The team did connect on 14-18 from the foul line.
- A 10-2 run out of the gate for the Lakers extended their lead to as big as 25 to begin the second stanza.
- Northwood fought back to cut down to 12 at 83-71, but the Lakers finished off strong to earn the win.
- Northwood shot 46.2 percent from the field in the second half (12-26) and from the 3-point line (6-13). They shined from the free throw line all night, including a 94.7% mark in the second half (18-19).
- The Lakers continued their hot shooting in the second half, going 66.7 percent from the field (18-27) and 62.5 percent from behind the 3-point line (5-8).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Grand Valley .649 (37-57), Northwood .365 (19-52)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Grand Valley .556 (10-18), Northwood .364 (8-22)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Northwood .865 (32-37), Grand Valley .563 (9-16)
- REBOUNDS: Grand Valley 30 (3 offensive), Northwood 28 (7 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Grand Valley 19/15, Northwood 10/15
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Nick Spitzley: 19 points (4-10 3-ptrs, 7-8 free throws), four rebounds
- P.J. Weaver: 15 points (7-9 free throws)
- Zach Allread: 14 points (3-4 3-ptrs, 5-6 free throws)
- The Timberwolves will travel to Ferris State Saturday (January 14) for a matchup with the Bulldogs. Game time is set for 3 p.m.