OVERVIEW – MICHIGAN TECH
SCORE: Northwood 87, Michigan Tech 70
RECORDS: Northwood (2-5, 0-2 GLIAC), Michigan Tech (5-3, 2-0 GLIAC)
LOCATION: SDC Gymnasium – Houghton, Mich.
RECAP: Michigan Tech used a big first-half run to pick up an 87-70 win over Northwood Saturday afternoon (December 2).
- The Huskies used a huge run in the middle portion of the opening half to open up a big lead.
- MTU lead 13-8 at the first media timeout before the Huskies posted a 27-5 run, which gave Michigan Tech a 40-13 lead.
- Northwood did come back with a 13-3 push to finish the half to cut the MTU lead down to 43-26 at the break.
- Michigan Tech was hot from beyond the arc, going 9-13 (69.2) from 3-point range. The Huskies finished the half at 50.0 percent overall (16-32)
- Northwood ended up shooting 35.7 percent overall (10-28) and 4-14 from the 3-point line.
- Nick Spitzley was the best player on the floor for Northwood in the opening half, scoring 16 points on 6-8 shooting overall and 4-6 from 3-point range.
- Turnovers proved to be the key to the opening half – Northwood had eight giveaways to just one for the Huskies. That led Michigan Tech to an 18-0 edge in points off turnovers.
- Northwood chipped away at the lead the lead into the second half, getting the advantage down to 10 at 67-57 with 7:35 remaining.
- Northwood had a shot to get the lead to single-digits, but the 10-point deficit proved to be as close as the Timberwolves got in the second half.
- The Timberwolves offense was much better in the second half, shooting 46.7 percent overall (12-26) and 17-20 from the foul line (85.0 percent).
- Michigan Tech stayed hot in the second half, going 15-23 overall (65.2 percent) and 11-13 from the foul line (84.6 percent).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Northwood .407 (22-54), Michigan Tech .564 (31-55)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE : Northwood .318 (7-22), Michigan Tech .600 (12-20)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Northwood .826 (19-23), Michigan Tech .813 (13-16)
- REBOUNDS: Northwood 33 (13 offensive), Michigan Tech 28 (six offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Northwood 8/14, Michigan Tech 21/8
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Trey McBride: Season-high 17 points (15 in the second half), five rebounds
- Kelvin Calhoun II: 13 points, 4-8 from the floor, 5-6 from the foul line
- Nate Georgeton: 11 points (career-high)
- Zach Allread: 10 points, eight rebounds
- The Timberwolves will host No. 5 Ferris State Thursday night (December 7). Game time is set for 8 p.m.