SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 2, Alderson Broaddus Battlers 1,
RECORDS: Alderson Broaddus (1-2-2), Northwood (2-2-1)
LOCATION: Dean Field - Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Zachary Bakos scores in the final minute to give Northwood a 2-1 win over Alderson Broaddus Sunday afternoon (September 10).
INSIDE THE GAME
- Northwood had a significantly better start to the contest than on Friday and were nearly rewarded for it in the eighth minute. James Vaughan fired a twirling strike into the box from the right side and Connor Cole leapt up to redirect the ball with a header that found the right post.
- In a half that saw the Timberwolves outshoot the Battlers 6-2 with four move through midfield down the left side to set up a one-time chance for Austin Hobbes. Hobbes fired for the bottom left side of the net only to be denied.
- Despite the pressure from Northwood, Alderson Broaddus would strike first in the second half. On a corner kick from the left side, the Battlers were able to convert on a redirection header in the middle of the box to make it 1-0 in the 57th minute.
- Just one minute later, The Timberwolves were able to draw an infraction in the Battlers' box, signaling a penalty kick. James Vaughan was selected to take the free strike and did not miss his spot, firing it into the gaping right side of the net to tie the game at one.
- Northwood had numerous chances to take the lead, but did not convert until the final minute. Zachary Bakos made sure to make good on the last one of the game with 53 seconds left. Catching a pass from midfield by Lirim Shefkiu, Bakos ran to his right inside the box and fired a shot far side to beat the diving Battler goalkeeper.
- SHOTS: Northwood 22, Alderson Broaddus 8
- SAVES: Northwood 2, Alderson Broaddus 9
- CORNER KICKS: Northwood 7, Alderson Broaddus 4
- FOULS: Northwood 13, Alderson Broaddus 8
- Northwood took the first matchup between the two schools in their respective program histories.
- Senior Zachary Bakos' game-winner was his third career GWG in 43 career games.
- The Timberwolves will travel to Northern Michigan for a game against the Wildcats (Sept. 17). Game time is set for 1 p.m.