SCORE: Purdue Northwest Pride 0, Northwood Timberwolves 1
RECORDS: Purdue Northwest (3-4-1, 2-3 GLIAC), Northwood (5-2-2, 3-0-1 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Dean Field - Midland, Mich.
RECAP: An early second half goal by Zachary Bakos proves to be the difference in a 1-0 Northwood win over Purdue Northwest Friday afternoon (September 29).
INSIDE THE GAME
- For a first half that went scoreless, there wasn't a shortage of chances. Each team fired eight shots, and Northwood goaltender Corbin Cecchini made a key save mid-way through the period on a shot from inside the box. The sophomore was able to get his hand on a ball headed for the top left corner to keep the game scoreless.
- Nearly five minutes into the second half, the Timberwolves were able to strike first. After James Vaughan was awarded a free kick from the right sideline, he was able to put a good set piece in the box for a deflection. Zachary Bakos was able to leap and redirect the pass with a header from inside the box to make it 1-0.
- In a game that saw the Pride get almost 20 shots, Northwood's defensive play highlighted the second half. In the 57th minute, Connor Cole was able to clear a loose ball out of the box. Josh Wates was able to make two clears in a matter of seconds in the 65th minute. To top it off, Cecchini was able to make a key save on a Pride bicycle kick from point-blank range with nearly ten minutes left to go in the game.
- SHOTS: Purdue Northwest 19, Northwood 16
- SAVES: Northwood 8, Purdue Northwest 2
- CORNER KICKS: Purdue Northwest 5, Northwood 4
- FOULS: Purdue Northwest 12, Northwood 7
- This was the first matchup between the two programs in their respective histories.
- In a seasonal trend that continued today, the Timberwolves have outscored opponents 10-4 in the second half this season.
- Zachary Bakos is the only Northwood player other than James Vaughan with multiple goals (2) this season.
- The Timberwolves will host Tiffin for a game against the Dragons Sunday (Oct. 1). Game time is set for Noon.