SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 1, Northern Michigan Wildcats 0
RECORDS: Northwood (8-2-2, 6-0-1 GLIAC), Northern Michigan (3-7-1, 1-6 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Dean Field - Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Vaughan's PK strike keeps Northwood in GLIAC lead with victory over Northern Michigan Friday (October 6).
INSIDE THE GAME
- Northwood had their best pair of chances to score in the first half ten minutes into the contest. On a loose ball in the box, Lirim Shefkiu was able to get two quality shots on net near the right post while falling down to the turf. Despite nine shots on net, the Timberwolves were held off the board in the first half.
- With both teams looking for offense in the second half, Northern Michigan got their best chance of the day in the 77th minute. On a free kick from midfield, Northwood goaltender Corbin Cecchini dove to his right to prevent a redirected header from finding twine and keep the game scoreless.
- After much extracurricular activity regarding penalties, James Vaughan was awarded a penalty kick in the 81st minute. He was able to convert on the opportunity, firing a strike right under the crossbar to get the Timberwolves on the board first. His goal would stand up as the game-winner.
- SHOTS: Northwood 17, Northern Michigan 7
- SAVES: Northern Michigan 8, Northwood 2
- CORNER KICKS: Northwood 7, Northern Michigan 3
- FOULS: Northern Michigan 11, Northwood 10
- The Timberwolves have won the first four matchups between the two programs in their respective histories, outscoring the Wildcats 8-1.
- James Vaughan has converted on four of five penalty kicks this season. His seven goals this season are a career high. Three of them have been game-winners.
- Northwood has now shutout Northern Michigan for three consecutive contests.
- The Timberwolves will host Ashland for a game against the Eagles on Friday (October 13). Game time is set for 12:00 p.m.