HOUGHTON, MICH. – The Northwood University men's tennis team closed out the regular season with a 6-3 road win over Michigan Tech Sunday afternoon (April 24).
The Timberwolves finish the regular season 9-8 overall, 5-4 in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC). Michigan Tech falls to 5-11 overall, 2-7 in the GLIAC.
In doubles, Northwood earned a 2-1 lead. The Timberwolves started the day with an 8-2 victory at the No. 3 slot. The two teams then each won 8-4 matches at the top of the lineup – NU earned the win at the top slot while the Huskies took the No. 2 match.
Northwood went on to win four of the six singles matches to close out the match. NU earned victories at the No. 1, No. 2, No. 5 and No. 6 positions to close out the match.
Northwood will compete at the GLIAC Tournament April 29-May 1 at the Greater Midland Community Tennis Center.
Northwood 6, Michigan Tech 3
Apr 24, 2016 at Houghton, Mich. (Gates Tennis Center)
1. Sebastian Eguez (NU) def. Robin Duhnsen (MTU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Austin Woody (NU) def. Mario Neto (MTU) 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
3. Built Yumuang (MTU) def. Konstantin Zhukov (NU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Nick Kremkow (MTU) def. Daniel Haas (NU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
5. Lorenz Bialkowski (NU) def. Juan Felipe Chica (MTU) 6-1, 6-1
6. David Reinauer (NU) def. Ricardo Paes (MTU) 6-2, 6-1
1. Sebastian Eguez/Austin Woody (NU) def. Mario Neto/Robin Duhnsen (MTU) 8-4
2. Built Yumuang/Nick Kremkow (MTU) def. Daniel Haas/David Reinauer (NU) 8-4
3. Konstantin Zhukov/Hayden Drury (NU) def. Ricardo Paes/Juan Felipe Chica (MTU) 8-2