OVERVIEW - WINTHROP ADIDAS INVITATIONAL
EVENT: Winthrop Adidas University Invitational
LOCATION: Irwin Belk Track and Field Complex - Rock Hill, S.C.
RECAP: Northwood's track and field squads opened up the outdoor season at the Winthrop Adidas Invitational Friday-Saturday (March 23-24), with Mason Phillips notching the Timberwolves' first outdoor NCAA provisional qualifying mark of the season.
INSIDE THE MEET
- Freshman Mason Phillips shined in his outdoor debut, running the 100-meter dash in 10.57 seconds to finish second in Friday's prelims. In the finals, Phillips won the event finals with a time of 10.86. His time of 10.57 seconds from the prelims surpasses the NCAA Division II provisional qualifying mark for the Outdoor Track & Field Championships and moves himself into second all-time in school history.
- Junior Ben Quella opened up the outdoor season with a new lifetime best mark in the javelin throw with a distance of 52.82 meters/173 feet-3.75 inches to finish third overall. Quella now sits second all-time in school history.
- The 4x100 meter relay team of sophomores Austin Hamlet and Christopher Bent, senior John King, and Phillips finished third with a time of 42.38 seconds.
- The Timberwolves had two men in discus finals. Senior Paul Evans finished fourth with a toss of 48.27 meters/158 feet-4.75 inches, while freshman Hunter Berecz's throw of 40.71 meters/133 feet-7 inches was good for eighth place.
- Berecz also had a seventh place finish in the shot put with a top mark of 13.96 meters/45 feet-9.75 inches. His mark moves him into seventh all-time in school history in the event.
- In the high jump, junior Heaven Powell finished in a tie for eighth place with her best clearance of 1.59 meters/5 feet-2.50 inches.
The Timberwolves will travel to Cedarville, Ohio for the Yellow Jacket Open next Saturday (March 31) at 10 am.