OVERVIEW - LAST CHANCE WEEKEND
EVENT: GVSU Last Chance Meet / Hillsdale Last Chance Meet / Hillsdale Very Last Chance Meet / Mount Olive Final Qualifier
LOCATION: Grand Valley State University - Allendale, Mich. / Hillsdale College - Hillsdale, Mich. / University of Mount Olive - Mount Olive, NC
RECAP: School records in the men's 4x100 meter relay and the men's 100-meter dash highlights last chance weekend for Northwood as select track and field athletes competed at various last chance meets to improve on qualifying marks for the NCAA Division II Outdoor Track & Field Championships.
GVSU LAST CHANCE MEET
- Senior Madison Arnouts crossed the finish line of the 400-meter hurdles in 1:04.95 to pick up a second place finish.
- Junior Heaven Powell earned runner-up honors in the high jump with a clearance of 1.70 meters (5 feet-3.25 inches).
HILLSDALE LAST CHANCE MEET
- Arnouts hit an NCAA provisional mark in the 400-meter hurdles in 1:01.69 on her way to a first place finish.
- Powell cleared the high jump bar at 1.64 meters (5 feet-4.5 inches) for third place honors.
- Senior Carly D'Almeida finished seventh in the hammer throw competition with a top mark of 48.64 meters (159 feet-7 inches).
- Senior Paul Evans finished seventh in the discus on his last throw of the competition at 48.14 meters (157 feet-11 inches).
HILLSDALE VERY LAST CHANCE MEET
- D'Almeida's best throw of 50.07 meters (164 feet-3 inches) in the hammer throw was good for a fifth place finish in the competition.
- Seventh place honors went to Evans in the discus with his best throw of the competition going 47.69 meters (156 feet-5 inches).
MOUNT OLIVE FINAL QUALIFIER
- The men's 4x100 meter relay of junior Rami Gharsalli, sophomores Christopher Bent and Austin Hamlet, and freshman Mason Phillips shattered the school record in their event on their way to a improved NCAA provisional qualifying mark. Their event-winning time of 40.45 broke the school record of 40.96 set in 2007 and is currently the 8th best time on the NCAA Division II qualifying list, virtually punching their ticket to the national meet.
- Bent was the pacesetter for the short sprint men on the track. In the 100-meter dash, Bent won the event in 10.39 seconds in a wind-legal time and now sits tied for 16th on the NCAA Division II qualifying list, making the national meet for a second event.
- Phillips posted a time of 10.53 seconds in the prelims of the 100-meter dash before finishing third in the finals in 10.56 seconds.
- Arnouts finished fifth in the 400-meter hurdles, crossing the line in 1:02.01.
- Below is a list of provisional qualifiers and their rankings for the NCAA Division II Outdoor Track & Field Championships. A minimum field size of 20 for individual events and 14 for relays is desired by the national committee and will be selected from the descending qualifying list. The accepted entries into the NCAA Championships will be released Tuesday (May 15) at 6 p.m.
MEN'S NCAA QUALIFIERS
200-Meters: #17 Mason Phillips (21.01)
110-Meter Hurdles: #15 Rami Gharsalli (14.03)
4x100 Relay: #8 Northwood (40.45)
Long Jump: #11 Mason Phillips (7.50 meters/24 feet-7.25 inches)
Discus: #20 Paul Evans (52.57 meters/172 feet-6 inches)
Hammer: #14 Paul Evans (61.17 meters/200 feet-8 inches)
WOMEN'S NCAA QUALIFIERS
400-Meter Hurdles: #37 Madison Arnouts (1:01.69)
High Jump: #21 Heaven Powell (1.70 meters/5 feet-7 inches)
Hammer: #37 Carly D'Almeida (52.89 meters/173 feet-6 inches)
- Those athletes that are accepted will compete at the NCAA Division II Outdoor Track & Field Championships, hosted by Johnson C. Smith in Charlotte, NC Thursday-Saturday (May 24-26).