OVERVIEW – HILLSDALE
SCORES: Hillsdale Chargers 10, Northwood 1 (Five Innings); Hillsdale 7, Northwood 6
RECORDS: Northwood 14-18, 5-5 GLIAC/Hillsdale 17-16, 7-3 GLIAC
LOCATION: Midland, Mich. – Fisher Stadium
RECAP: A hot Hillsdale offense leads the way in a doubleheader sweep over Northwood Saturday afternoon (April 8), with the Chargers winning by scores of 10-1 and 7-6.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- After a scoreless first inning, Hillsdale broke through in the second with three runs, thanks to some help from Northwood. The Chargers had just one hit in the inning, but there were two walks, a passed ball and an error in the frame.
- Northwood responded in the bottom of the inning on a solo home run by Sydni Pauley, her 10th of the season.
- Hillsdale put the game away in the third, plating six runs on six hits to go up 9-1.
- The Chargers added one more in the fourth to round out the scoring.
GAME 1 STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 1/3/1, Hillsdale: 10/10/0
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood 3, Hillsdale 4
- Winning Pitcher: Dana Weidinger: 5 IP, R, 3 H, 8 K
- Losing Pitcher: Vanessa Ewing (7-10): 2 2/3 IP, 6 R (3 ER), 3 H, 3 BB, 2 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Pauley: 1-2, HR (10)
GAME 1 NOTES
- Pauley's 10th homer of the season moves her into third place alone on the Northwood single-season home run list. She now only trails Jessica Klein (14 – 1996) and Korey Schluckbier (11 – 2008).
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Northwood got off to a strong start in game two thanks to a leadoff home run by Andria Gietl. The Timberwolves then made it 2-0 later in the inning on a double play.
- Hillsdale got on the board with a run in the bottom of the first to cut into the NU lead.
- Northwood then got a big hit from senior Hayley D'Avilar in the top of the second inning. Her opposite field three-run homer put the Timberwolves on top 5-1.
- After Hillsdale cut the lead to 5-2 in the second, the Timberwolves had a great opportunity to extend its lead in the third. Northwood had runners on second and third with nobody out but were unable to plate a run.
- NU struggled to slow down the hot Hillsdale offense, however, as the Chargers scored one in the third and four in the fourth to take a 7-5 lead.
- Gietl cut into the lead in the sixth with her second homer of the day and fourth of the season, making the score 7-6.
- Northwood got the leadoff batter on in the seventh and advanced her to second with one out but were unable to score the tying run.
GAME 2 STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors: Northwood: 6/12/2, Hillsdale: 7/14/1
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 7, Hillsdale: 9
- Winning Pitcher: Erin Gordon (3-4) 3 1/3 IP in relief, R, 6 H, 2 K
- Losing Pitcher: Mackenzie Norton (1-5): 1 1/3 IP, 4 R, 4 H
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Gietl: 3-4, 2 HR (4), 2B, 3 R, 2 RBI
- D'Avilar: 2-4, HR (3), 2 R, 3 RBI
- Abby Joseph: 2-4, 2B
- The Timberwolves will host Wayne State Sunday (April 9). The doubleheader will begin at Noon.