OVERVIEW – WAYNE STATE
SCORES: Wayne State Warriors 8, Northwood Timberwolves 2; Wayne State 7, Northwood 3
RECORDS: Northwood 14-20, 5-7 GLIAC/Wayne State 27-9, 6-4 GLIAC
LOCATION: Midland, Mich. – Fisher Stadium
RECAP: Northwood drops a pair of games to Wayne State Sunday afternoon (April 9), dropping games by the scores of 8-2 and 7-3.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The contest was scoreless into the fourth inning until Wayne State broke through on a two-out single to take a 1-0 lead.
- Northwood responded immediately in the bottom of the inning on a solo home run by Riley Ostapowicz to tie the game at 1-1.
- The key stretch of the contest came in the top of the fifth inning. After the Warriors scored on an error to go up 2-1, WSU had the bases loaded with two outs. WSU's Kylee Barrett had the key hit of the game at that point, a grand slam to center field to put Wayne State up 6-1.
- Wayne State scored two more in the sixth to extend their lead.
- Northwood plated the final run of the game in the seventh on a RBI single by Danielle Bartodziej.
GAME 1 STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 2/5/1, Wayne State: 8/9/1
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood 5, Wayne State 5
- Winning Pitcher: Lyndsay Butler (15-7) 7 IP, 2 R (1 ER), 5 H, 6 K, 2 BB
- Losing Pitcher: Mackenzie Norton (1-6) 5 1/3 IP, 8 R (3 ER), 9 H, 1 K, 3 BB
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Abby Joseph: 2-2
- Ostapowicz: 1-3, HR (3), RBI
- Bartodziej: 1-2, RBI
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Wayne State took the early lead in game one on a leadoff home run in the bottom of the first inning.
- Northwood responded in the bottom of the inning thanks to a solo home run by Jennifer Wontorcik to tie the game at 1-1.
- WSU continued to hit the ball well in the next couple of innings, scoring one in the second and two in the third to go up 4-1.
- The Warriors put the game away in the fifth with three runs on four hits to make the score 7-1.
- Northwood got solo home runs in the sixth and the seventh innings – one by Sydni Pauley and one by Bartodziej but were unable to get any closer than four runs.
GAME 2 STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors: Northwood: 3/5/1, Wayne State: 7/13/1
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 5, Wayne State: 9
- Winning Pitcher: Megan Guitar (10-1) 7 IP, 3 R, 5 H, 5 K, 2 BB
- Losing Pitcher: Vanessa Ewing (7-11) 4 2/3 IP, 7 R, 9 H, 0 K, 1 BB
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Bartodziej: 2-3, HR (1), R, RBI
- Wontorcik/Pauley: HR each
GAME 2 NOTES
- Pauley's home run was her 11th of the season. That moves her into a second place tie on the Northwood single-season home run list. She is now level with Korey Schluckbier (11 – 2008). The pair trail only Jessica Klein (14 – 1996) on the all-time list.
- The Timberwolves will host Grand Valley State Friday (April 14). First pitch is set for 3:30 p.m.