OVERVIEW – SAGINAW VALLEY
SCORES: Saginaw Valley State Cardinals 6, Northwood Timberwolves 1 / Saginaw Valley 7, Northwood 1
RECORDS: Northwood 19-25 (10-12 GLIAC), Saginaw Valley 31-12 (14-6 GLIAC)
LOCATION: University Center, Mich. – SV Softball Complex
RECAP: Northwood drops pair of games at Saginaw Valley – 6-1 and 7-1. The Timberwolves narrowly missed out on the GLIAC Tournament.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Northwood got on the board first in game one in the top of the second inning on an RBI single by Jennifer Wontorcik that scored Sydni Pauley.
- That would prove to be the lone run of the game for the Timberwolves, however. NU managed just one hit the rest of the way.
- SVSU scored three in the second, two in the fifth and one more in the sixth to pick up the victory.
GAME 1 STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors Northwood: 1/2/4, Saginaw Valley: 6/6/0
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood: 5, Saginaw Valley: 7
- Winning Pitcher: Vanessa Ewing (11-15) 5 IP, 5 R (3 ER), 4 H, 2 K, 4 BB
- Losing Pitcher: Sam Willman (15-5) 7 IP, R, 2 H, 11 K, 4 BB
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Wontorcik: 1-3, RBI
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- The nightcap was scoreless until the top of the fourth inning when the Cardinals plated a single run.
- SVSU then added two in the fifth and one in the sixth to extend the advantage to 4-0.
- Northwood got on the board in the bottom of the sixth on a solo home run by Torriya Gray-Baker.
- But the Cardinals responded right away, scoring three in the top of the seventh to close out the victory.
GAME 2 STATS
- Runs/Hits/Errors: Northwood 1/5/1, Saginaw Valley 7/15/0
- Runners Left on Base: Northwood 6, Saginaw Valley 10
- Winning Pitcher: Willman (16-5) 7 IP, R, 5 H, 4 K, 2 BB
- Losing Pitcher: Ewing (11-16) 5 1/3 IP, 4 R, 9 H, 4 K
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Gietl: 2-4, 2B
- Gray-Baker: 1-2, HR (3), RBI
- With today's results, Northwood narrowly missed out on the upcoming GLIAC Tournament. NU entered the day as the No. 8 seed, one game ahead of Findlay for the final spot of the event. But Findlay rallied for a win in game two of their doubleheader against Tiffin, putting UF in a tie with Northwood at 10-12 in the league. Findlay held the tiebreaker over the Timberwolves, sending the Oilers to the tournament.