OVERVIEW – LAKE ERIE
SCORE: Lake Erie Storm 80, Northwood Timberwolves 78 (OT)
RECORDS: Northwood (4-5, 2-3 GLIAC) Lake Erie (4-7, 2-4 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood drops their second straight tight game, falling in overtime to Lake Erie 80-78 Saturday night (December 17).
- Northwood came out very strong in the opening quarter, scoring the first 11 points of the game. The Storm responded with a 16-2 run of their own to go up 16-13. NU then finished the quarter off with another run, scoring the final five points to lead 21-16 after one quarter.
- Neither team shot particularly well in the opening 10 minutes – NU went 6-16 from the floor (37.5 percent), while Lake Erie was 6-17 (35.3 percent). NU went 7-7 from the foul line to earn the lead.
- Lake Erie's offense came to life in the second quarter, shooting 64.3 percent overall (9-14) and 2-2 from 3-point range. The Storm out-scored Northwood 21-11 in the second, giving LEC a 37-32 advantage at the break.
- The Storm's big shooting quarter put them at 48.4 percent at halftime (15-31). Northwood entered the break at 39.3 percent (11-28) but was just 2-10 from 3-point range in the opening 20 minutes.
- Northwood finished the third quarter strong to out-score the Storm 17-12 in the quarter to send the game to the final frame tied 49-49.
- Both teams made six field goals in the quarter
- The fourth quarter was extremely close – there were four ties and neither team led by more than five points.
- Lake Erie led 65-60 with 3:20 remaining, but Northwood responded with eight straight points in just over two minutes to go up 68-65 with under a minute remaining.
- The Timberwolves had the ball and led 68-66 as time was winding down, but a turnover and a fast-break layup by the Storm sent the game to overtime tied 68-68.
- The Timberwolves led 74-72 with less than two minutes to go in overtime, but Lake Erie scored eight of the next nine points to go up 80-75.
- NU got the lead back down to two points and had the ball with 0.7 seconds remaining but were unable to get a shot off.
- The Storm went 4-6 from the floor in overtime to earn the win.
- FG PERCENTAGE: Lake Erie .478 (32-67), Northwood .368 (25-68)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Lake Erie .412 (7-17), Northwood .211 (4-19)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Lake Erie .643 (9-14), Northwood .774 (24-31)
- REBOUNDS: Lake Erie 40 (7 offensive), Northwood 46 (15 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Lake Erie 13/15, Northwood 14/16
- There were 16 ties and nine lead changes in the game.
- Northwood out-scored Lake Erie 19-8 in second chance points.
- While turnovers were even for the game (NU 16, LE 15), the Storm out-scored Northwood 19-8 in points off turnovers
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Jordyn Nurenberg: 34 points (career-high), 19 rebounds (career-high). 11-18 from the floor, 12-17 from the foul line
- Maddy Seeley: 22 points, career-high six assists
- The Timberwolves will travel to Indianapolis December 31. Game time is set for 2 p.m.