OVERVIEW – FERRIS STATE
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 81, Ferris State 56
RECORDS: Northwood (8-6, 5-4 GLIAC), Ferris State (3-12, 2-7 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Wink Arena – Big Rapids, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood opens strong and leads throughout in convincing 81-56 victory over Ferris State Saturday afternoon (January 14).
- Northwood took control of the game early, scoring 14 of the first 17 points.
- The Timberwolves led by as many as 13 before taking a 19-7 lead after one quarter.
- NU shot 40.0 percent from the floor (6-15) while holding the Bulldogs to 11.1 percent (1-9).
- Northwood also forced Ferris State into nine turnovers in the quarter.
- The Timberwolves scored on their opening possession of the quarter and maintained control the rest of the half.
- Northwood led by as many as 25 point before settling for a 48-25 lead at the break.
- Both offenses had big shooting quarters in the second – NU connected on 10-15 from the floor (66.7 percent) and 5-7 from 3-point range (71.4 percent). Ferris State went 9-14 from the floor in the quarter (64.3 percent).
- NU featured strong balance in the opening half – Northwood had no players in double figures at the break but six different players with at least six points.
- Ferris State showed some fight early in the third quarter, cutting the lead down to 53-36 with just over five minutes remaining.
- The Timberwolves finished the quarter strong, however, scoring 14 of the final 20 points to get their lead back to 66-42 heading to the fourth.
- Northwood went just 4-14 from the floor in the third (28.6 percent), but the Timberwolves connected on three 3-pointers while going 7-8 from the foul line (87.5 percent). Ferris State finished the quarter at 36.4 percent (8-22).
- The fourth quarter was evenly played – Northwood out-scored the Bulldogs 15-14
- Northwood led by as many as 30 before winning the game by 25.
- The Timberwolves shot 5-15 from the floor in the fourth (33.3 percent), while Ferris State was 5-12 (41.7 percent).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Ferris State .404 (23-57), Northwood .424 (25-59)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Ferris State .200 (1-5), Northwood .478 (11-23)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Ferris State .643 (9-14), Northwood .769 (20-26)
- REBOUNDS: Ferris State 35 (11 offensive), Northwood 35 (11 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Ferris State 16/21, Northwood 20/12
- Points off turnovers were a big part of the game, as the Timberwolves out-scored the Bulldogs 23-8 for the game.
- Northwood has now won seven straight over Ferris State and eight of nine overall.
- The Timberwolves have also posted four straight victories in Big Rapids. Sear
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Delaney Kenny: career-high 14 points, six rebounds, four assists, two steals
- Jordyn Nurenberg: 14 points, 4-6 from the floor
- Lindsay Orwat: 13 points, two assists, two blocks
- Maddy Seeley: 12 points
- Hannah Orwat: Season-high 11 points
- Zakiya Wells: Six points, seven assists, five steals, zero turnovers
- The Timberwolves will travel to Michigan Tech Thursday (January 19). Game time is set for 5:30 p.m.