OVERVIEW – NORTHERN MICHIGAN
SCORE: Northern Michigan 70, Northwood Timberwolves 50
RECORDS: Northwood (8-7, 5-5 GLIAC), Northern Michigan (12-6, 7-4 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Berry Event Center – Marquette, Mich.
RECAP: Northern Michigan dominates inside in 70-50 win over Northwood Saturday afternoon (January 21).
- Northwood trailed 16-13 with less than three minutes remaining in the opening quarter, but the Wildcats finished strong. NMU scored the final eight points of the quarter to take a 24-13 lead.
- The Timberwolves shot 38.5 percent from the floor in the quarter (5-13), while Northern Michigan finished at 44.4 percent (8-18).
- Rebounding was a big part of the NMU lead – the Wildcats held a 16-3 edge on the glass in the quarter, including a 9-1 advantage on the offensive end. The led Northern Michigan to a 10-0 edge in second chance points.
- Northern Michigan continued to control play in the second quarter. The Wildcats finished the half on a 9-2 run to open up a 41-22 at the break.
- Northwood struggled offensively in the second quarter, going 3-11 from the floor (27.3 percent) and 2-6 from the foul line (33.3 percent).
- NMU finished at 42.1 percent from the floor (8-19) and continued to dominate the glass, out-rebounding Northwood 15-5 in the second quarter.
- Northwood played better in the third quarter, using a 3-pointer by Ashley Campbell in the final seconds to out-score NMU 16-14 in the third. That sent the game to the fourth quarter to the fourth with the Wildcats leading 55-38.
- Northwood went just 5-16 from the floor (31.3 percent) but connected on four 3-point field goals.
- Northern Michigan went 4-11 from the floor (36.4 percent) while going 6-8 from the foul line (75.0 percent).
- Northwood had the momentum early in the fourth quarter, cutting the lead down to 11 while shooting a pair of free throws. But NU missed both attempts, which was immediately followed by a 3-point play for the Wildcats to get the lead back up to 14. NU got no closer than that the rest of the way.
- FG PERCENTAGE: Northern Michigan .414 (24-58), Northwood .360 (18-50)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Northern Michigan .333 (3-9), Northwood .364 (8-22)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Northern Michigan .792 (19-24), Northwood .462 (6-13)
- REBOUNDS: Northern Michigan 49 (20 offensive), Northwood 22 (six offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Northern Michigan 7/14, Northwood 11/14
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Northwood had been out-rebounded in just four of their first 15 games but was a -27 on the day against Northern Michigan (49-22).
- The Timberwolves will travel to Wayne State Thursday (January 26. Game time is set for 5:30 p.m.