OVERVIEW – WAYNE STATE
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 66, Wayne State Warriors 61
RECORDS: Northwood (14-10, 11-8 GLIAC), Wayne State (7-19, 4-15 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood finishes game strong to pick up 66-61 win over Wayne State Thursday night (February 16).
- Wayne State scored the first seven points of the contest and held Northwood scoreless for the first 4:30 while NU went 0-7 from the floor.
- Northwood chipped away at the lead, eventually cutting the WSU advantage down to 15-11 after one quarter.
- The Timberwolves made just 25.0 percent of their shots from the floor (4-16), including just 28.6 percent of their attempts from behind the arc (2-7).
- The Warriors finished at 42.9 percent in the first (6-14), missing their only three-point attempt of the period.
- Wayne State took control in the second quarter, eventually opening up a 16-point advantage (35-19) with 2:20 left in the first half.
- Northwood connected on a pair of 3-pointers to cut the lead down to 35-25 at the break.
- Wayne State distanced themselves with an impressive 66.7 percent shooting in the quarter (8-12), including a perfect 3-for-3 from behind the arc.
- Northwood continued to struggle to get any offense going, shooting just 21.4 percent (3-14), staying in it by sinking 50 percent of their three-point attempts (3-6).
- Northwood got back into the game in the third quarter, cutting the lead down to five at one point before the Warriors led 48-42 heading to the fourth.
- Northwood started to improve offensively, shooting 35.3 percent from the floor (6-17).
- Wayne State continued to stay solid from the floor and shot 50 percent on their overall attempts (5-10).
- Northwood trailed by six with 3:41 left when the Timberwolves finished strong. Northwood rattled off a 13-3 run, which included five consecutive free throws to stretch the lead to three with 9.3 seconds left, and finished victorious by five.
- Northwood made the most of their chances from the foul line down the stretch, making 9-10 from the line in the final 3:14.
- The Warriors shot 44.4 percent of their attempts (4-9) in the quarter while missing their only 3-point attempt.
- Northwood had their best shooting quarter of the night, making 45.5 percent of their attempts from the field (5-11), sinking 42.9 percent of their three-point shots (3-7).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Wayne State .511 (23-45), Northwood .310 (18-58)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Wayne State .667 (4-6), Northwood .346 (9-26)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Wayne State .579 (11-19), Northwood .875 (21-24)
- REBOUNDS: Wayne State 33 (five offensive), Northwood 34 (14 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Wayne State 12/16, Northwood 14/7
- Wayne State had the lead the entire game before Northwood went up on their free throws in the final minute of the game. The Timberwolves led for a total of 23 seconds while Wayne State led for 38:35.
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Jordyn Nurenberg: 16 points, (6-6 on free throws), five rebounds, four assists. Had one assists at halftime
- Maddy Seeley: 14 points (nine in the fourth quarter), three 3-pointers
- Lindsay Orwat: 10 points, two rebounds, two assists
- The Timberwolves will travel to Saginaw Valley State on Saturday (February 23). Game time is set for 4 p.m.