OVERVIEW – WAYNE STATE
SCORE: Wayne State Warriors 59, Northwood Timberwolves 57
RECORDS: Northwood (9-6, 5-4 GLIAC), Wayne State (7-8, 5-3 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Wayne State finishes the game on a run and connects on a buzzer-beater to defeat Northwood 59-57 Saturday afternoon (January 13).
- After Wayne State scored the first four points of the game, Northwood took the early lead thanks to perimeter shooting.
- Northwood's first four field goals were all 3-pointers, which gave the Timberwolves an early 12-6 advantage.
- NU eventually led 14-7 after the opening quarter.
- Northwood finished the quarter at 41.7 percent overall (5-12) and 66.7 percent from 3-point range (4-6). WSU went 3-9 from the floor (33.3 percent).
- Northwood had the advantage the majority of the second quarter, opening up a 26-12 lead with under two minutes remaining.
- But the Warriors responded with the final eight points of the half to send the game to the break with Northwood leading 26-20.
- Northwood finished the second quarter at 50.0 percent overall (6-12) despite going 0-5 from 3-point range. Wayne State ended up at 33.3 percent (5-15) for the second straight quarter.
- Much like the second quarter, a late run by Wayne State closed a Northwood lead.
- NU lead 41-30 with under five minutes remaining in the quarter before WSU made it 47-42 heading to the fourth.
- Northwood shot just 23.5 percent in the quarter (4-17), while Wayne State went 8-12 (66.7 percent).
- Northwood led 55-46 with less than five minutes remaining when their offense went cold.
- NU's final field goal came with 5:59 remaining in the game, allowing the Warriors to get back into it.
- Wayne State scored 13 of the final 15 points of the game, including a jumper as time expired to give the Warriors the win.
- Wayne State shot 45.5 percent in the fourth (5-11) and went 5-7 from the foul line (71.4 percent). Northwood ended up shooting 30.0 percent (3-10).
- FG PERCENTAGE: Wayne State .388 (19-49), Northwood .431 (22-51)
- 3-PT PERCENTAGE: Wayne State .333 (6-18), Northwood .294 (5-17)
- FREE THROW PERCENTAGE: Wayne State .682 (15-22), Northwood .889 (8-9)
- REBOUNDS: Wayne State 26 (seven offensive), Northwood 37 (11 offensive)
- ASSISTS/TURNOVERS: Wayne State 10/9, Northwood 19/15
- POINTS IN THE PAINT: Wayne State 24, Northwood 24
- POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Wayne State 21, Northwood 10
- SECOND CHANCE POINTS: Wayne State 4, Northwood 11
- BENCH POINTS: Wayne State 16, Northwood 16
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Taylor Craymer: 16 points, 13 rebounds (both career-highs)
- Karli Herrington: 12 points, eight rebounds, two blocks
- Grace German: 10 points
- After their first four field goals of the game were all 3-pointers, Northwood made just one triple the rest of the way.
- Over their last three losses, the Timberwolves have been out-scored 40-7 in the final five minutes while going just 1-18 from the floor (5.6 percent).
- The Timberwolves will host Tiffin Thursday night (January 18). Game time is set for 6 p.m.