SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 2, Findlay Oilers 1
RECORDS: Findlay (1-3), Northwood (2-1)
LOCATION: Dean Field - Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood posts 2-1 victory in home opener against Findlay Friday evening (September 8).
INSIDE THE GAME
- After a first few minutes with little action in either end, Northwood capitalized on a bounce that went their way. At the top of the box, Ashton Brooks picked up a loose ball and scored on a chip shot over the Findlay goalkeeper to make it 1-0 eight minutes into the contest.
- With the Timberwolves clinging to a one-goal lead in the second half, they turned to Brooks yet again for some insurance. Isabel Hess sped down the right wing with her head up and directed a shot into the box where Brooks was charging the net. Using her head, she got a piece of the incoming strike and redirected it to find twine, making it 2-0 in the 59th minute.
- On a potential Findlay breakaway, Samantha Medici made a strong defensive play coming from the right side to keep the lead at two, deflecting the ball away before a strike towards the net could be made.
- Medici's defensive play turned out to be key, as Findlay would cut the lead to one on a scramble in the box with 42 seconds left. That's as close as the Oilers would come however, as the Timberwolves held on for the one-goal victory.
- SHOTS: Northwood 9, Findlay 9
- SAVES: Northwood 4, Findlay 4
- CORNER KICKS: Northwood 3, Findlay 3
- FOULS: Northwood 9, Findlay 3
- Northwood is now 5-2-1 against Findlay in their last eight meetings dating back to 2010.
- Ashton Brooks, fresh off of being named the GLIAC offensive player of the week last week, now has four of the Timberwolves' five goals on the year thus far.
- Northwood has now won its past four home openers by a combined score of 12-4.
- The Timberwolves will host Ohio Dominican for a game against the Panthers on Sunday (Sept. 10). Game time is set for 2:30 pm.