SCORE: Davenport Panthers 4, Northwood Timberwolves 3
RECORDS: Davenport (7-4-1, 3-2-1 GLIAC), Northwood (4-7-1, 2-3-1 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Dean Field - Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Davenport erases three-goal spread to shock Northwood in overtime Sunday afternoon (October 8).
INSIDE THE GAME
- Northwood was able to gain an early advantage with more contributions from their freshmen. Kassidy Embrey was awarded a corner kick from the left sideline and placed the ball in a prime scoring area. Talene Nercesian timed her leap and redirected the cross to draw first blood for Timberwolves on a header from the middle of the box.
- Not to be outdone by the freshmen, a senior was able to extend Northwood's lead in the 32nd minute. On a free kick from the top right corner of the box by Alyssa Cowper, a mad scramble for a loose ball erupted at the side of the net. Waiting for her chance, the ball rolled to Sadey Jumapao and she made no mistake burying a shot from the left side of the net extending the Timberwolves' lead.
- In an opportunistic affair, it would be unusual for Ashton Brooks to be held off the board. She made sure to leave her mark in the 48th minute. On a free kick from Christina Medici near midfield, Brooks ran across the top of the box and was able to connect on a header that found twine and put Northwood in the driver's seat up 3-0 in the second half.
- Though Northwood built up a significant advantage, the result would be far from certain with Davenport finding new life quickly. Awarded a free kick from the top of the box, the Panthers converted on the prime opportunity to cut the lead to 3-1 four minutes after Brooks's goal.
- By the end of the following 15 minutes, it would be a brand new match. Davenport was able to take advantage of a favorable bounce on a cross pass with a header in the box to make it a 3-2 game in the 58th minute. Nine minutes later, the Panthers had the game tied on a breakaway conversion from the top of the box.
- Davenport completed the comeback in unbelievable fashion at the very end of the first overtime period. From the left side of the box on a bouncing ball, the Panthers beat the buzzer to win 4-3.
- SHOTS: Davenport 19, Northwood 10
- SAVES: Davenport 3, Northwood 3
- CORNER KICKS: Northwood 7, Davenport 6
- FOULS: Northwood 16, Davenport 9
- Sadey Jumapao scored the first goal of her Northwood career in 25 games played.
- Davenport has won three of the four all-time matchups between the two programs.
- Talene Nercesian picked up the second goal of her collegiate career and is now the only Timberwolf other than Ashton Brooks with multiple goals.
- The Timberwolves will host Saginaw Valley for a game against the Cardinals on Sunday (Oct. 15). Game time is set for 1:00 p.m.