OVERVIEW – NORTHERN MICHIGAN
SCORES: Northern Michigan Wildcats 3, Northwood Timberwolves 0 (27-25, 25-18, 25-21)
RECORDS: Northwood (6-6, 0-4 GLIAC), Northern Michigan (10-2, 4-0 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood dropped a 3-0 match to Northern Michigan Friday night (September 22) in the home opener for the Timberwolves.
INSIDE THE MATCH
- Northwood started the match with nine of the first 13 points to lead early. NU kept the lead until the Wildcats leveled the score at 19-19. Northern Michigan had a pair of set points before closing things out at 27-25. Both teams hit well in the set – NU finished at .349 (20-5-43) while NMU hit .318 (17-3-44).
- The Wildcats used the momentum from winning the opener by getting off to a fast start in the second – NMU registered seven of the first eight points. The Timberwolves fought back to get within two at 9-7, but that is as close as NU got. Northern Michigan eventually won 25-18, thanks to another strong offensive set. The Wildcats hit .364 (14-2-33) compared to Northwood at .156 (13-8-32)
- It appeared NMU was going to run away with the final set, leading 19-6. But the Timberwolves would not go away, scoring 15 of the next 20 points to get within three at 24-21. Northern Michigan got the final point to close out the victory. NMU finished the set at .135 (14-9-37) – NU ended up at .182 (11-5-33).
- HITTING: Northwood: .241 (44-18-108), Northern Michigan: .272 (45-14-114)
- DIGS: Northwood 42 (Sommer VandenBerge/Allison Getty – 10), Northern Michigan 42
- BLOCKS: Northwood 2 (Sydney Greulich – 2, Northern Michigan 5.0
- ACES: Northwood 2 (Mackenzie Kepler/ VandenBerge – 1), Northern Michigan 6
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Carson Rutherford: 10 kills, .381 attack percentage (10-2-21)
- Meredith Collins: 10 kills, .353 attack percentage (10-4-17)
- Sydney Greulich: Nine kills, two blocks
- Northwood will host Michigan Tech Saturday (September 23). First serve is set for 2 p.m.