OVERVIEW – LAKE SUPERIOR STATE
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 3, Lake Superior State Lakers 0 (25-14, 25-21, 25-22)
RECORDS: Northwood (13-11, 5-7 GLIAC), Lake Superior State (3-20, 1-13 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood dominates first set on their way to a sweep over Lake Superior State Friday night (November 3).
INSIDE THE MATCH
- Northwood stormed out of the gates with a 10-2 start. Lake Superior State's first kill came when they trailed 12-4. The Timberwolves took 13 of the next 23 points to cruise to an opening set victory. Northwood had a strong offensive set to start the match, hitting .406 (16-3-32). Lake Superior State finished at .036 (5-4-28).
- The Lakers' first kill of the second set came on their first point, and they had a stronger start splitting the first 16 points with the Timberwolves. They would tie the game again twice before eventually taking their first and only lead of the game at 16-15. The two teams would trade leads of less than three points until Northwood took a 21-18 lead later in the set. They eventually were victorious notching four of the next seven points to close things out at 25-21. NU hit .242 (11-3-33) compared to the LSSU's line of .132 (13-8-38).
- The third set saw the same sort of back-and-forth affair, but Northwood eventually came out on top. Taking 10 of the first 15 points, the Timberwolves built up a lead of 17-11. The Lakers would bounce back, however, cutting the deficit to two at 19-17 with a 6-2 run. They eventually were within one at 23-22, but the Timberwolves took the next two points to win the match. NU had another strong offensive set, hitting .389 (17-3-36). Lake Superior State had a solid hitting set of their own, finishing at .286 (14-2-42).
- HITTING: Lake Superior State .167 (32-14-108), Northwood .347 (44-9-101)
- DIGS: Lake Superior State 41, Northwood 51 (Allison Getty – 11)
- BLOCKS: Lake Superior State 3, Northwood 6 (Carson Ruthterford – 4)
- ACES: Lake Superior State 3, Northwood 3 (Getty/Sydney Greulich/Nadia Atton – 1)
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Mackenzie Kepler: 14 kills, 10 digs, two block, .560 attack percentage (14-0-25)
- Getty: 13 kills, 11 digs, .333 attack percentage (13-4-27)
- Greulich: Nine kills, .368 attack percentage (9-2-19)
- Hailey Jones: Three kills, eight digs, 32 assists.
- Northwood has now swept Lake Superior State in straight sets 13 straight times dating back to 2009.
- Northwood will host Saginaw Valley Saturday (November 4) for a game against the Cardinals. Game time is set for 5:00 p.m.