OVERVIEW – SAGINAW VALLEY STATE
SCORE: Northwood Timberwolves 3, Saginaw Valley 0 (25-10, 25-23, 25-13)
RECORDS: Northwood (14-11, 6-7 GLIAC), Saginaw Valley (5-21, 3-12 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena – Midland, MI.
RECAP: Northwood sweeps Saginaw Valley 3-0 on senior day Saturday afternoon (November 4).
INSIDE THE MATCH
- In the first set, the Cardinals took four of the first five points to open play. But it was Timberwolves the rest of the way, out-scoring SVSU 24-6 the rest of the way. Northwood's offense came out hot to start, hitting .407 (13-2-27). Saginaw Valley finished at -.091 (5-7-22).
- The second set was tightly contested as the teams split the first 16 points. Three consecutive ties followed, with the Cardinals eventually making some space pushing the lead to 16-11 with six consecutive points. The Timberwolves responded with four consecutive scores to cut the lead to two, and eventually battled back to tie the game at 20. They would take a two-point lead, but Saginaw Valley responded with three straight to take the lead at 23-22. Northwood notched three straight of their own to take the set 25-23 and open up a 2-0 lead. The Timberwolves ended up hitting .176 (12-6-34) compared to the Cardinals' line of .100 (12-9-30).
- Northwood maintained control throughout the final set, opening play with 15 of the first 20 points on their way to a sweep. NU's offense was strong again in the third, hitting .371 (16-3-35). SVSU ended up at .000 (5-5-36).
- HITTING: Saginaw Valley State .011 (22-21-88), Northwood .312 (41-11-96)
- DIGS: Saginaw Valley State 38, Northwood 38 (Allison Getty, Hailey Jones – 8)
- BLOCKS: Saginaw Valley State 4, Northwood 8 (Carson Rutherford, Sydney Greulich – 4 block assists)
- ACES: Saginaw Valley State 3, Northwood 8 (Sydney Greulich – 3)
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Mackenzie Kepler: 12 kills, four digs, two blocks
- Sydney Greulich: Eight kills, three aces, four blocks
- Allison Getty: Eight kills, Nine digs, .471 attack percentage (8-0-17).
- In all four of their home wins, Northwood swept the opponent.
- The Timberwolves have surpassed last season's win total of 13 with their 14th victory with two games left on their schedule.
- After dropping three straight to Saginaw Valley from 2014-16, Northwood has won two straight in the series.
- Northwood will travel to Michigan Tech Friday (November 10) for a game against the Huskies. Game time is set for 5 p.m.