OVERVIEW – FERRIS STATE
SCORE: #11 Ferris State Bulldogs 3, Northwood Timberwolves 1, (16-25, 25-20, 25-16, 25-20)
RECORDS: Northwood (5-6, 2-1 GLIAC), Ferris State (8-3, 3-0 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena– Midland, Mich.
RECAP: Northwood wins the opening set but falls 3-1 to No. 11 Ferris State Tuesday night (September 11).
INSIDE THE MATCH
- The Timberwolves came out strong against the Bulldogs scoring eight of the first 12 points. The Timberwolves would ride this momentum to a 19-12 spread past the mid-way point of the set and never looked back from there, scoring six of the next 10 points to win the stanza 25-16. Northwood posted a .273 (12-3-33) attack percentage while Ferris State ended up at .029 (8-7-35) mark.
- The Timberwolves again opened the set strong, jumping to a 7-3 edge. The Bulldogs responded strongly with an 11-5 run of their own to recapture the lead at 14-12, forcing an NU timeout. FS would maintain their lead later in the period at 21-17 before Northwood responded with three consecutive scores to cut the deficit to one. However, the Bulldogs would respond with four straight to win the second set 25-20 . The Timberwolves hit .111 (11-7-36) compared to the Bulldogs' line of .312 (12-2-32).
- The third set was evenly matched at the start as both teams split the first 12 points. From there, the Bulldogs took control, going on a 10-4 run to lead 16-10. Ferris State never looked back from there, scoring nine of the next 14 points to win 15-16. NU posted a stat line of .080 (12-8-50) while FS finished at .318 (16-2-44).
- Set four started positively for NU, as they had the early 9-6 advantage. Both teams then traded points before knotting up at 15 past the halfway point. The back and forth affair didn't stop as the score pushed to 20-20 nearing crunch time. Ferris State took control at that point, scoring the final five points to close out the match. Northwood ended up hitting .048 10-8-42) while the visitors finished at .256 (15-5-39).
- HITTING: Ferris State .233 (51-16-150), Northwood .118 (45-26-161)
- DIGS: Ferris State 82, Northwood 70 (Brenna Murphy – 20)
- BLOCKS: Ferris State 11, Northwood 6 (Rutherford/Gallagher – three)
- ACES: Ferris State 3, Northwood 9 (Macy Lintz/Venera Kadriu/MacKenzie Kepler/Brenna Murphy – two each)
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- Colleen Mayer: 13 kills, two blocks, .500 attack percentage (13-0-26)
- MacKenzie Kepler : 9 kills, two aces, 10 digs
- Macy Lintz: 34 assists, 10 digs
• Northwood will travel to Michigan Tech Friday (September 14) for a match against the Huskies. Match time is set for 7 p.m.