OVERVIEW – SAGINAW VALLEY STATE
SCORE: Saginaw Valley State Cardinals 3, Northwood Timberwolves 0, (25-18, 25-22, 25-14)
RECORDS: Northwood (5-9, 2-4 GLIAC), Saginaw Valley State (10-4, 4-2 GLIAC)
LOCATION: Riepma Arena– Midland, MI.
RECAP: Slow starts in each set for Northwood lead to a 3-0 loss to Saginaw Valley Friday night (September 21).
INSIDE THE MATCH
- Saginaw Valley got the better of Northwood early on, scoring 11 of the first 15 points. They would ride the momentum and maintain their edge at 18-11 before eventually winning the first set 25-18. The Timberwolves posted a .093 (13-9-43) killing percentage while Saginaw Valley answered strongly with a .257 (12-3-35) mark.
- The Cardinals again came out firing on all cylinders, rattling off an 11-2 run to open the second set. NU would respond admirably multiple times in the stanza, starting with a 9-4 run of their own cut the lead down to four at 15-11. They would later bring the deficit down to two at 24-22 before SVSU finally captured the set 25-22 to take a 2-0 series lead. Northwood ended the set with a .119 (12-7-42) line compared to the Cardinals' rate of .109 (14-9-46).
- The trend of Saginaw Valley racing to an early lead continued in the third set, as they scored 10 of the first 14 points. Their lead soon swelled to 18-8, and they were able to cruise to a match-clinching 25-14 win. NU posted a final line of .088 (9-6-34) while SVSU concluded the set at a .267 (11-3-30) percentage.
- HITTING: Saginaw Valley .198 (37-15-111), Northwood .101 (34-22-119)
- DIGS: Saginaw Valley 40, Northwood 39 (MacKenzie Kepler – 15)
- BLOCKS: Saginaw Valley 0, Northwood 0 (Colleen Mayer/Mary Gallagher – three)
- ACES: Saginaw Valley 3, Northwood 0
TOP NU PERFORMERS
- MacKenzie Kepler: 14 kills, 15 digs
- Grace Rekeweg: 8 kills, five digs
- Brenna Murphy: 14 digs
- Macy Lintz: 30 assists, 10 digs.
• Northwood will host Lake Superior State Saturday (September 22) for a match against the Lakers. Game time is set for 2 p.m.